Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Squiggle Duty

My sister's nanny moved out of state on short notice for a family emergency, leaving my sister in the lurch at the end of PA rotations and on the cusp of a move to a new house. So I've been filling in on Squiggle Duty.

Squiggle hit his first birthday two weeks ago. He can open jars of baby food and put caps on pens, but he neither walks nor talks. His utterances seem to revolve around a sound that might be "quack" and a something that sounds like "Baba Yaga," but seems to mean "get me the hell out of this chair harness NOW!" Needless to say, we don't chat much.

Mornings are spent eating oatmeal, reading stories and napping, followed by a lunch with the consistency of library paste, a ride to the park, and some time on the grass practicing walking, playing chase or throwing dirt at the other kids in the sandbox. Followed by reading stories and napping. Rather, he naps, I do dishes, prep food, do laundry, and put away toys. He enjoys it, I find it freaking exhausting.

My nephew is pretty cute for a guy who only has 4 teeth and a long ribbon of drool hanging from his bottom lip. It'll be entertaining to see if he learns to walk before my sister and brother in law get the house all packed up.

No comments: