Thursday, July 10, 2008

Salads

MLE's post about salads reminded me that it had been ages since I'd indulged myself with one of my all-time favorite foods: taco salad.

My current taco salad has evolved from the days of pan-fried onions, spices and ground beef; lots of medium cheddar shavings, tomatoes and enough lettuce and tortilla chips to add satisfying crunch tossed in a decent italian dressing.

I had most of the items necessary for an impromptu taco salad: copious romaine, tomatoes, a salsa composed of corn, red onion and black beans marinated with garlic and spices in a tablespoon of vinaigrette, shredded mexican cheese blend and turkey breast sauteed with spice dust. Guacamole or even a few slices of avocado would have been heaven, but I didn't have them or the corn chips. It was still delicious.

Otherwise I've been eating a lot of what I think of as a greek style salad: chopped romaine, cucumber, mint, dill and tomatoes tossed with a few tablespoons of lemon juice and olive oil. Red onion is a great addition. The addition of feta or steamed salmon makes this an entree although I've been eating it as a side dish. Those who like yoghurt could probably combine it with the mint and dill for a nice dressing if you like that creamy style.

No comments: