Sunday, July 18, 2004

Best day of summer

Today was one of the best days yet this summer.

1) the incredibly cool man I interviewed for the position of roommate called to accept my offer. YAY! Happy dance! I was starting to worry that maybe I'd let the spot go unfilled for too long. Apparently good things DO come to those who wait. Best of all, he's going to be a 1L just like me*

2) Despite staying up reading until 3:30 a.m. I still woke up at 7:30 as happy and chipper as a bluebird with first call on the worm glazed doughnuts and coffee.

3) The new sink the landlord put in looks like it will kick ass. I wonder if I'm going to get back into cooking now. The Kitchen Aids have been so lonely and unused.

The afternoon was spent at one of those uber yuppie Paint-Thine-Own-design-on-one-of-our hideously-expensive-bisqued-ceramic-plates Emporiums with the Boyfriend's kids. Kid the elder made a lovely plaque for her father. Kid the younger painted a bowl for The Shrew, I mean her mother. I selflessly painted a curved sushi plate with a design that was meant to look Japanese, but ended up looking Italian. Fusion, that's it! She can use it for Tuna Carpaccio Sushi or maybe a terrine of edamame dressed with a balsamic reduction of cippolini onions on a bed of thinly shredded radicchio.

Post pottery painting, we spent the rest of the 90 degree afternoon frolicking in the pool. General splashing, Marco Polo and a variant on color tag were enough to tire me out completely. I wonder if that is because I was "it" most of the time. On a fogless afternoon, it's a great way to beat the heat. Of course on foggy afternoons there is no reason to beat the heat, only reasons to put on another sweater. Ah Bay Area summer.

*of course not just like me. He's going to the cool school. I'm going to the eh, we'll take your money school. Must learn to be happy with the school I will attend.

No comments: